Grapes on Kids Menus: The Time is Ripe
It’s true: childhood obesity is a major health problem in the United States. It’s estimated that one in three American children are overweight or clinically obese, contributing to the onset of Type 2 diabetes and a host of other health problems that will linger and develop into worse problems in the future for these children and the health care system. Lack of exercise and simply consuming too many calories per day while eating too much sugar, fat, and sodium are contributing factors.
Foodservice operators and chefs in every single category can help kids and parents make healthier food choices by offering kid-friendly fruits and vegetables and whole grains to menus. Grapes from California are natural additions, because it’s a fact: kids love grapes!
Here are 8 tips and ideas for adding grapes from California to your kids menus. And don’t forget, fresh grapes are not a loss leader here: you can charge more for items featuring fresh seasonal products like Grapes from California.
Sparkling Grape and Berry Jells
8 Ways to Add Grapes to Your Kids Menu and Beyond
1. Offer an option of a side of fresh grapes instead of french fries or chips. This is a great idea for grown-up plates, too.
2. Kids also love jiggly gelatin items. Sliced fresh grapes make this fun food “super,” too.
3. Play with your food! Yep, grapes are the no muss, no fuss finger-food that will keep kids happy, satisfied and busy while they wait for their main dish.
4. Offer a child’s side of grapes for the reason cited above.
5. How about a Kids Crudité or Small Plate? Feature baby carrots, fresh grapes, slices of cheese, turkey or ham, hard- boiled egg halves, crackers and ranch dressing for dipping.
6. Add grapes to wraps for kids – they go great with chicken, turkey, ham, hummus, cream cheese, avocados, shredded carrots and all types of lettuce.
7. When you add grapes to the salad bar, kids will actually eat them and that makes the parent who pays the tab, very, very happy.
8. Place halved grapes on any pizza and kids will order it.